Starcrossed - Josephine Angelini (Starcrossed #1)

Destiny brought them together.
The gods will keep them apart.

When shy, awkward Helen Hamilton meets Lucas Delos for the first time, she thinks two things: the first, that he is the most ridiculously beautiful boy she has seen in her life; the second, that she wants to kill him with her bare hands.
An ancient curse means Lucas and Helen are destined to loathe one another. But sometimes love is stronger than hate, and not even the gods themselves can prevent what will happen next...


Review

Immediately as I heard about Starcrossed and that it was about Greek mythology I was so excited to read it and I'm so so so glad I picked it up, the story is frustrating, fun, interesting, intense, romantic and so mysterious. Helen and her best friend Claire, are about to begin their new year of school on the island of Nuntucket and along with them are the new gorgeous and rich kids of the Delos family who have only just moved on the island. The Delos family is the only thing the people of Nuntucket are talking about and its driving, the usually calm, Helen insane. For an unknown reason, only the mention of their names irritates Helen and when Helen and Lucas Delos first lay eyes on each other, Helen tries to kill him in the middle of the school corridor with her bare hands. 

The story was so captivating from the first chapter and I seriously couldn't put it down. I loved how different the characters were and how they had their own personality, which lacks in some YA novels these days. During the first chapter Helen didn't really stand out to me so much, but as the story continued I started liking her and paying more attention to her. I also liked how she knew she was different, of course she didn't know she was an  offspring from the gods, but she reacted exactly how I expected her to when she did find out - "Allrighty, I'm an offspring of some ancient greek gods. That's why I'm such a weirdo...That makes sense." Also, that she didn't know her full potential or how strong she was. 

The second thing I really enjoyed about the book was how family orientated the Delos were. They seemed so genuine and welcoming and I really like reading about big families and it ties really nicely with the ending of Starcrossed. (If you've read the book you'd know what I'm talking about.)

Lucas Delos was so captivating and charming, I loved reading about him. It might seem shocking, but I was hardly paying attention to Helen's and Lucas relationship,  yes I was cheering for them, but I was more interested in the plot and where the story was going. I also really liked Hector, Jason and Ariadne and the banter between them - it was entertaining. However, Cassandra's powers kind of scared me and I'm afraid her character will go wrong in the next books. I was so intrigued to know more about their family history.

In addition, I really liked the setting of the whole story, Nuntucket. It reminded me of the small Greek islands and it suited the story perfectly. Last but not least, I really loved the world. The author used Greek mythology to create her own world without ruining the mythology itself. I really liked the small things she added to keep things interesting. 

I totally recommend Starcrossed. Especially if you liked Percy Jackson but want something a little bit more grown up or if you want an action packed story with some romance. You're gonna love it!






No comments: